07 December 2011

Cabin Fever

My dismally, wonderful view this morning.


Henry David Thoreau wrote:


"I did not wish to take a cabin passage, but rather to go before the mast and on the deck of the world, for there I could best see the moonlight amid the mountains. I do not wish to go below now."


I can always find the silver lining in any cloud no matter how dark and dismal. I try to make it a habit. Until I came across this line a few nights ago, I was feeling pretty bummed about being quarantined for nearly two weeks now. As much as I love being back home, adjusting to the boys being in school and not having immunity to all of the germs being passed around because parents won't keep their sick kids at home (just my humble opinion, haha), this single mom is a little overwhelmed. I can honestly say that this is the first time ever, that everyone in our house has been sick. It typically would come in phases, one kid getting well while another one goes down, so on and so forth. But even I am a little helpless at the moment.

I think we find balance best when we are able to really prioritize and realize when our expectations are a little too high. At least that is my secret to successfully parenting four boys. You just look around and say, "well, we have clean pajamas and underwear, screw the rest." Dishes in the sink for a day or so are a-okay. Who cares if your sick kids lay on the couch watching movies all day. Sure, any other day it rots their brains, but ya know what, it's better than listening to whining about not feeling well or being bored while they're stuck at home...and not just any home but an 1100sqft burrow. My sheets have been washed twice this week because I keep thinking about all of the mythbuster episodes I have seen about how far germs from a cough or a sneeze can travel and snotty noses that have been wiped on my pillow cases...ugh. Clorox wipes and leftover chicken noodle soup are my best friends these days. 

But then on evenings like this, when it begins to snow fat, perfect and pure flakes, I look outside and see nothing but beauty surrounding me. I realize that even though I am inside and somewhat quarantined to the rest of the world, it's okay because from MY deck, I absolutely can best see the moonlight and the mountains. There is no going below, it is my view from all sides and that makes me quite content with having a little cabin fever.

The natives are getting a little restless. Yes, that is a wooden knife with blood colored onto the blade in Perrin's hand. Issues!

No comments:

Post a Comment