24 February 2012

Burn the Ships!!


When you find yourself standing among crossroads in your life, have you ever experienced that feeling of complete satisfaction and peace when you finally know without a doubt the path you are supposed to take? It's as if a massive weight is lifted and everything seems to just fall into place. You can carry on with your life, confident, fearless and certain that as long as you stay the course, nothing can stop you. 

My mom and I were having a discussion in her kitchen on Wednesday afternoon about school and then my plans for med school. She was asking me how a coffee with an old school mate went earlier that morning. He's a Dr.and we talked a bit about plan B in case I don't make it into Med school on the first try. I hadn't really had a plan B because in my mind...not making it, is not an option. She reminded me of an old Greek fighting strategy which made them extremely successful in conquering enemy territory. The saying went, "If you want to take the island, you have to burn the ships." There is no turning back, you are either victorious or you die. I have been thinking about that a lot lately, in so many aspects of life. How many people start something whether it be relationships, life plans, savings etc and fail because they always seem to find a way out. They cling to the past asking "what if" or lean on crutches rather than relying on their own determination and inner strength to be successful and carry on. 

Many of you (my friends and family) know how the last several years of my marriage were and we have absolutely zero doubts about the strengths and determination that lie within me. You've been there to pick me up when I've fallen down and when you couldn't pick me up, you laid down with me and just listened for awhile. I have come to realize how important it is to have a strong support group, a cheering squad when muddling through life's struggles and I am so incredibly fortunate in that area within my life. I know the value in surrounding yourself with positive thoughts, quotes, and people when it comes to holding steadfast to a dream. If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask the question, the answer is always no and if you don't step forward, you are always in the same place. 

Anyway, all of that to say that I am at an amazing place in my life right now..."cloud nine" for the lack of a better reference. Plans are coming to fruition and I can't help but be thrilled. My personal life is great, the boys are happy and we just keep moving up in our "new life" as Perrin so succinctly put it just about a year ago. It is incredibly crazy to think that it has been nearly a year since leaving the nightmare that became my previous life.





The bigger picture never seemed more clear than now,
As I try to keep my head up when my thoughts, they weigh me down.
Unexpectedly my freedom is a different picture,
Made by my tears, sometimes by my fears. 
But I no longer, 
will be no longer scared.
No longer scared.

A dream will carry you when all you need is something to believe,
magic in a place just to hold your hand. 
Because mountains come in many forms,
and with feet to carry me, 
I conform to the height,
With wings I'll fly above them.
Fly above them.

I make my dreams a reality,
Never looking down at my feet, because I know what's in store for me. 
If you could see through my eyes for just one day,
You'd realize that the road less traveled has already been paved. 
It's no conspiracy, theory, or educated guess.
It's truth and love, pushing myself to be the best.
Nothing less.




 

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I haven't talked to you in ages! I can't find an email address for you, either. Send me an email if you get this so we can catch up! -Dacy
    (dacy.johnson@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete