30 July 2011

Brow Knits

The boys are registered for school here in Unicoi County, it was a pretty fun and exciting day yesterday. As I was driving to my mom's in the afternoon, Bergen was reading aloud from his school handbook. He read, "coporal punishment may be administered...mom, what is corporal punishment?" WHAT? Seriously? What decade are we in?

Granted, I know many kids who I personally would love to put over my knee, but the thought of someone else laying hands on my children at their own discretion is not okay, even slightly. If my kids have done something at school that requires punishment, trust me, they will be punished and they know it. I don't know, this really didn't sit well with me. So, I had him read on and found out that we can in fact bring in a hand-written note saying that we refuse corporal punishment, but the trade off is at least one day of out of school suspension. Now my question is, what in the world would your child have to do to receive corporal punishment? There is nothing mentioned anywhere other than it is acceptable in the school and is definitely used. So if they don't finish their homework assignment, are they going to receive out of school suspension for a day because I wouldn't let the principle paddle him? To simply state that they'll spank your kid and not give any examples as to what behavior would constitute something like that is not cool. I tried to find some more information about it online, but only learned that it isn't just Bergen's school, it's all of Unicoi County, which includes the elementary school too. Yes, that knits my brow.

So, I went to my mom's, decompressed with a few cucumber martini's and then we trucked off to Target, Books-A-Million and TJ Maxx (three of my favorite stores) for a little shopping. Griffen came with us while the boys stayed with their Aunt Kilraine and cleaned my car. Awesome. Griffen knows when he has a good thing, hahahaha, check him out at Target!



While at Target for some retail therapy, we found these nail polish strips! I grabbed some for Kilraine and I and we spent the rest of the evening doing our nails :) I love being a girl and I love having sisters. I'm not sure I'd have said that about sisters 20 years ago because Christy and I fought like crazy (she was such a brat), but now, for sure I love my sisters!


I finished the back of my Origin sweater! I am hoping to have the whole thing finished this week. I have been suffering from insomnia lately, so I get a lot of knitting done in the wee hours of the morning :)

4 comments:

  1. So I'm thinking this is probably too much waffling for the school system...but if a situation arose that they wanted to paddle one of your kids, I'd want them to call you and let you decide what to do from that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. It sounded like from the handbook that they paddle first and then tell you later, unless you hand deliver the note saying it is not okay to paddle. So I will write the note, but I am going to call them on Monday morning and ask under what circumstances they paddle so that I can prepare for potential out of school suspension, hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a former teacher and now attorney, I say spank away. Then we wouldn't have them in court as adults! Real good parents are rare these days. I grew up in east Kentucky and got paddled all the way up through freshman year. Never suspended once. Had I went to school here this day and time, I would have been shipped off to the alternative school and learned how to snort pills. Hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha, Donna, I have a grown man you will get to spank soon, lol. Don't worry :)

    ReplyDelete