28 July 2011

What's Your Favorite Position?

Non-knitters might find it odd, but most knitters have a specific position we prefer for knitting. It is probably comparable to how others like to sit while watching television, maybe in their favorite chair or one arm resting on a pillow. For example, I absolutely can not knit in bed unless I am sitting up straight and my legs are crossed "indian" style. I'd prefer to not be knitting in bed hahaha, but hey it is what it is... the real life of even a hot single red-head...

I knit indian style or at least one leg tucked under another in chairs too. Somehow it balances and provides a nice little nook for my yarn or project to rest between my legs and allows for plenty of elbow room. I don't have to worry about pulling on my yarn and the skein falling to the floor. My patterns are usually just to my right so I can tally mark my row counts. When I knit in the car...yes, even when I'm driving I will knit a few stitches at a red light or in traffic, I always tuck one leg under the other.


So I am just curious as to how other knitters prefer to sit and knit? I have a friend who would read and knit at the same time. Seriously now, I pride myself on being able to multitask but that is pretty hardcore! It isn't an issue of having to look at what I am knitting. I am pretty skilled to the point that I can knit by feel alone, but it's the concentration in general. Most other knitters I know prefer to watch television or a movie. I am not a TV watcher, so tonight's Pandora "knit style entertainment" is a kickin' R&B mix of Beyonce, Rihanna, Alicia Keys, Mary J Blige, the Pussy Cat Dolls and several other awesome female vocalists. I think there was some Usher in there too with his song "My Boo" hahaha, but it's mostly all female artists. 

Here is a picture of the Clingman's Cardi. It needs sleeves and although in the picture it looks pretty square, it has a very nice shape. It is incredibly thick and warm for some cold mountain nights. But no man I know will be up in my mountains wearing this thing! Sorry fella's, I like you too much. 




And then this is what I am knitting at the moment. It is by the French company Origin and I am knitting with bamboo which is incredibly hard to keep in a nice and neat ball. Fortunately it is slippery so it doesn't knot. I am using Sublime Bamboo and Pearls in the color "lake". It is made of pure bamboo and get this, pearl viscose! Cool. It feels fabulous and knits really easily. Often bamboo is a "splitty" yarn and this has been very smooth so far. I highly recommend it as a potential alternative to cotton...I don't like to knit with cotton, unless it's Blue Sky Alpaca's Organic Cotton.


Okay, so today the last of two of my four boys had their well-checks with Dr. Gill at First Choice Pediatrics. They run a seriously tight and impressive ship over there! Very efficient and thorough, love it.  They are all healthy and fortunately Cashion seems to be actually growing. It is something that we have kept a close eye on for years now. Since he was an toddler, he barely makes the growth chart. He will be 8 in November, but he rarely outgrows his clothes or shoes. Bless him, the only reason he ever gets new clothes or shoes is because his brothers do, hahaha. He still wears a size 5 or maybe a 6 slim in clothes. But today was awesome because even though his height was still in the 2nd percentile, his weight was in the 10th! Hooray! Poor guy, Griffen has never had a single jab in his life, so he received four shots today and will have three more on Tuesday :( He held up pretty well though and was happy to have a lolly and some Chick-fil-A afterwards. 

I officially have all we need to get the boys into school, so I will take them in the morning to register and figure out what to expect for Thursday! Man, I can't believe it is time for them to start school already. It's for the best though. They are bored and need structure and fun to go with the discipline I am so skilled at handing out!

And finally, I figured I would show a shot of "The Burrow" where all of this awesomeness happens :) Ross's aunt was here visiting last weekend and she asked me what was with the sequined towels in the bathroom. Yes, I have silver sequined towels in my bathroom. My response: "because I am single, I am a girl in the midst of four boys and sequins often remind me of that and most of all because I can!" I will slowly show more shots from the Burrow later, but this is part of our livingroom / master bedroom. 


I will leave you with an interesting fact and quote that seemed suitable for my particular life situation. Before the author Franz Kafka died, he had started a short story called "The Burrow." It is about a mole-like creature burrowing through an elaborate system of tunnels it has created over the course of it's life. It meets with a beast, and the story is never finished. But a translated quote from it reads:

"Lying in my heap of Earth I can naturally dream of all sorts of things, even of an understanding with the beast, though I know well enough that no such thing can happen, and at the moment when we see each other, more, at the instant we merely guess at each other's presence, we shall both blindly bare our claws and teeth, neither of us a second before or after the other, both of us filled with a new and different hunger, even if we should already be gorged to bursting."

"But all remained unchanged."


2 comments:

  1. Love the Burrow shot! Now you need to get into more of the fabric crafts....for some more home treasures..... And good on Cashion for growing. His stats are the reverse of Teagan's. Best of luck for the school, if it is a nice school they will thrive as you will too. I am knitting now on a straight backed chair using a traditional Shetland method...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knitting? Haven't in a year. Need to start again, but there are too many other projects getting in the way. Like blogging and Pinterest. ;-) When I DO knit, it's usually downstairs, on the couch, with a movie going and yes, usually one leg tucked under me to keep the yarn in place. I think I'm going to use that red yarn to make myself a new hat for this winter. I also still owe the F-I-L a hat, and since he's having hip replacement surgery next month, it might be a nice "Get well soon" gift. As always, the Burrow looks comfy and cozy. Best of luck to the boys as they start school - it will be a change and adventure and I'm sure they will do great!

    ReplyDelete