25 November 2011

Unbroken


I need more mornings like this one. I have spent the last few weeks trying to tackle the second half of my nearly two year long mantra: "Get through today and pick up the pieces later". Everything is falling into place fairly well and try as I may, I keeping finding myself with time. Lots of time, yet never alone long enough to really contemplate my next move, or to determine what was important but dropped in my mad dash to extricate myself and my boys from such a horrifying situation.

I sent the boys to their other grandparents house for their long Thanksgiving weekend break, a much needed break for me as well. I find myself repeatedly doing a full body check, an emotional inventory so to speak. Are you okay? Where does it hurt? Can you move this? Can you do this? What day is it? What's your name? Who are you? Can you tell me your identity? How do you feel about...? And then well, I find that I am in fact, some kind of wonderful and a little unbroken.

"And inevitably what you used to be
will succumb to the pull of gravity,
and you will never, no you will never see with virgin eyes again.

Cus this is the day that everything changes,
And your world stops turning, running straight
into the brake lights, and you've come to nothing.
This is the day that everything changes and your worlds collide
You know in time you'll wake to find...you're a little unbroken."
-Missy Higgins

No comments:

Post a Comment